Current:Home > FinanceEthermac|Prince Harry in court: Here's a look at legal battles the Duke of Sussex is fighting against the U.K. press -Capitatum
Ethermac|Prince Harry in court: Here's a look at legal battles the Duke of Sussex is fighting against the U.K. press
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:29:56
London - Prince Harry is testifying in a U.K. court this week — the first time a senior member of Britain's royal family has done so since the 19th century. His appearance is part of a case against the publisher Mirror Group Newspapers, claiming voicemail hacking and other illegal information gathering activities.
That case isn't the only legal action Harry is currently involved in against Britain's tabloid press, however. Here are the legal battles King Charles III's second son is part of:
Mirror Group Newspapers
The civil suit that saw Prince Harry take the stand Tuesday in London's High Court involves cases from Prince Harry and three other well-known British claimants. It alleges that journalists working for Mirror Group Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mirror tabloid, gathered information about the prince unlawfully, including by hacking into voicemails.
It involves 207 newspaper articles published between 1991 and 2011, though only 33 articles relating to Prince Harry will be considered in court.
The claimants argue that senior executives, including Piers Morgan — who edited the Daily Mirror newspaper from 1995 to 2004 — knew of the illegal activities. Morgan has denied any knowledge of such activities.
MGN has previously admitted that phone hacking took place at its tabloids, but its lawyer denied that 28 of the 33 articles involving Harry used unlawfully-gathered information. He said the group had "not admitted" that the other five articles involved unlawful information gathering, according to the BBC.
The suit is being heard before a judge, not a jury, and could result in a decision to award damages.
News Group Newspapers
Prince Harry launched legal proceedings against Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers (NGN), which publishes The Sun tabloid, in September 2019, accusing its journalists of unlawfully hacking his voicemails.
NGN says the claims are being brought too late and should be thrown out under the U.K.'s statute of limitations, but Harry claims the delay was due to a secret agreement between the publisher and the royal family, which NGN denies the existence of.
Associated Newspaper Group
Prince Harry is among several claimants — including pop star Elton John — who is accusing the publisher of the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday tabloids, Associated Newspapers (ANL) of using unlawful methods to gather information about them, including tapping phone calls and impersonating people to obtain medical information.
Lawyers for Harry and the other claimants say the alleged acts took place between 1993 and 2011, but that the behavior continued as late as 2018.
ANL denies wrongdoing by its journalists and says the cases should be thrown out because of the amount time that has passed.
Separate ANL suit
Separately, Prince Harry alone is suing ANL for libel over an article about his legal battle with the U.K. government regarding his security arrangements.
The article, published in the Daily Mail in February last year, alleged Harry tried to keep his legal battle with the U.K. government a secret.
A judge ruled the article was defamatory, and Harry is seeking a decision without a trial.
The prince also accepted an apology and damages from the same publisher over other articles two years ago in a separate libel lawsuit.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (48618)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Apple pulls WhatsApp and Threads from App Store on Beijing’s orders
- Heart, the band that proved women could rock hard, reunite for a world tour and a new song
- With Oklahoma out of the mix, here's how Florida gymnastics can finally win it all
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Tori Spelling Calls Out Andy Cohen for Not Casting Her on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
- She used Grammarly to proofread her paper. Now she's accused of 'unintentionally cheating.'
- Americans lose millions of dollars each year to wire transfer fraud scams. Could banks do more to stop it?
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Stocks waver and oil prices rise after Israeli missile strike on Iran
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Police called in to North Dakota state forensic examiner’s office before her firing
- Tyler Cameron Cancels Golden Bachelor's Gerry Turner and Theresa Nist After Their Split
- 384-square foot home in Silicon Valley sells for $1.7 million after going viral
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Paris Hilton Shares First Photos of Her and Carter Reum's Baby Girl London
- NHL playoffs bracket 2024: What are the first round series in Stanley Cup playoffs?
- Taylor Swift’s Tortured Poets Department: Who Is Clara Bow?
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Trump's critics love to see Truth Social's stock price crash. He can still cash out big.
The EPA is again allowing summer sales of higher ethanol gasoline blend, citing global conflicts
The Transatlantic Battle to Stop Methane Gas Exports From South Texas
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Waco, OKC bombing and Columbine shooting: How the April tragedies are (and aren't) related
Colorado football coach Deion Sanders downplays transfer portal departures
A man gets 19 years for a downtown St. Louis crash that cost a teen volleyball player her legs